Florida Mother Accused of Pouring Hot Wax on Her Young Daughters Before Setting Kitchen Fire

Florida Mother Accused of Pouring Hot Wax on Her Young Daughters Before Setting Kitchen Fire

A 26-year-old Florida mother is facing multiple felony charges after authorities say she poured hot, melted candle wax onto her two young daughters and later intentionally started a fire inside the family’s kitchen.

The woman, identified as Meliza Campos-Sanchez, was arrested Monday, August 17, following an investigation into a kitchen fire at her Miami-Dade home. She is accused of first-degree arson, child abuse without great bodily harm, and two counts of child neglect without great bodily harm, according to arrest records and reports based on the investigation.

The disturbing case began Sunday, August 16, when Miami-Dade Fire Rescue responded to a reported fire at a residence in the 4200 block of Southwest 95th Avenue.

Investigators determined that the fire was intentionally started using an open flame, ignitable liquid and combustible materials, according to the probable-cause affidavit reported by Law&Crime and other outlets. Investigators reportedly found fire-damaged clothing, a lighter, a silver mask and a plastic bottle believed to have contained rubbing alcohol at the scene.

Videos Posted to Instagram

As investigators looked into the circumstances surrounding the fire, they reportedly discovered videos Campos-Sanchez had posted to Instagram.

One video allegedly showed Campos-Sanchez using lit candles to melt wax before pouring it onto her own leg and onto the hands of her two daughters, who are reportedly 6 and 3 years old.

According to the arrest affidavit, the children’s older sister later described the substance as hot liquid, which investigators identified as melted candle wax.

A second video allegedly showed Campos-Sanchez wearing a silver mask while inside the kitchen. Investigators said she sprayed a liquid onto clothing placed on the floor and then used a red wand lighter to ignite it.

The flames reportedly produced a large flash. Authorities say the video also showed her continuing to dance as the fire burned.

Investigators later found evidence at the home that they say was consistent with what appeared in the social-media footage.

Daughter Describes What Happened

Authorities also spoke with Campos-Sanchez’s 6-year-old daughter as part of the investigation.

According to reports citing the arrest affidavit, the girl told investigators that she and her younger sister were in a laundry room next to the kitchen when they saw their mother start the fire.

The child reportedly said Campos-Sanchez threw a glass mug onto the floor while dancing near the flames. The fire was eventually extinguished with a bowl of water.

The girl then allegedly told investigators that her mother brought both children into the kitchen and poured melted candle wax onto herself and the girls.

Authorities have not reported that either child suffered great bodily harm, which is reflected in the child-abuse and child-neglect charges filed against Campos-Sanchez.

Campos-Sanchez’s husband, Yusniel Cue, reportedly told investigators that the couple had been experiencing marital problems and that he had been staying with his parents for approximately a week.

According to reports, Cue learned about the Instagram videos after receiving information from a friend. He contacted authorities and went to check on the children.

The children were subsequently placed in their father’s custody.

Cue also reportedly told investigators about previous concerns involving Campos-Sanchez’s mental health and an alleged prior suicide attempt. Those claims are part of the investigation and have not been independently established in court.

Following the incident, Campos-Sanchez was transported to a hospital for a mental-health evaluation. Reports say she was initially unable to speak with investigators because she had been sedated.

After she was cleared for release, deputies took her into custody and she was booked into the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Institution.

As of the latest reports, Campos-Sanchez remains accused of the crimes and has not been convicted. The allegations against her are based on police reports, witness statements and evidence investigators say they recovered during the investigation.

The case remains ongoing, with the charges carrying potentially serious penalties if she is ultimately convicted.

What makes the case particularly unusual is that investigators say social-media footage became an important part of the evidence.

Authorities allege the videos documented both the wax incident involving the children and the deliberate ignition of the kitchen fire. The investigation is continuing as prosecutors move forward with the criminal case.

Campos-Sanchez is presumed innocent unless and until she is proven guilty in court.

 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.