Miami-Dade Mother Jailed After 18-Month-Old Son Dies From Fentanyl Exposure.

Miami-Dade Mother Jailed After 18-Month-Old Son Dies From Fentanyl Exposure.

A Miami-Dade mother is behind bars after authorities say her 18-month-old son died following exposure to fentanyl inside their home.

Pearlandria Boujolly, 29, was arrested on August 20 and charged with one count of aggravated manslaughter of a child under 18, according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. The arrest stems from the death of her young son earlier this year.

Authorities said the tragic incident happened in the early morning hours of January 3, 2026. At approximately 3:50 a.m., Miami Police and Miami Fire Rescue responded to a report of an unresponsive toddler at a residence in Miami.

The 18-month-old boy was rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital for treatment but was pronounced dead a short time later, investigators said.

An autopsy conducted by the Miami-Dade County Medical Examiner’s Department later revealed the presence of fentanyl and a trace amount of cocaine in the child’s blood, according to FDLE.

Investigators said their investigation determined that narcotics had been left accessible inside an unlocked room in the residence. Authorities believe the toddler accidentally ingested a small amount of the drugs before becoming unresponsive. FDLE also said Boujolly was not inside the residence at the time the child consumed the substances.

The investigation reportedly uncovered even more disturbing details about the conditions inside the home. According to local reporting on the arrest warrant and court proceedings, four children between the ages of 1 and 8 were inside the residence at the time of the incident, and investigators found that children allegedly had access to narcotics. Authorities also said three unsecured firearms were inside the home.

Investigators were also able to review Ring camera footage from inside the home. According to reports citing the arrest documents, the footage allegedly captured the young child with a white substance in his hands and placing it in his mouth multiple times. The boy was later seen having difficulty standing before eventually becoming unresponsive.

Boujolly was taken into custody by agents with FDLE’s South Florida State Assistance for Fentanyl Eradication, or S.A.F.E., Task Force, along with the Miami Police Department.

FDLE Miami Special Agent in Charge Michael Stein said the case highlights the devastating impact fentanyl continues to have on communities, especially when children are involved.

State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle also described the case as a heartbreaking and preventable tragedy, saying the death occurred after dangerous drugs were allegedly left accessible inside the child’s home.

Miami Police Chief Edwin Lopez said authorities are taking cases involving children and accessible narcotics seriously.

“This arrest sends a clear message: there is zero tolerance for negligence that puts an innocent child’s life at risk,” Lopez said in a statement released by FDLE.

Boujolly appeared in court following her arrest. During a bond hearing, prosecutors alleged that the children in the home had access to narcotics and guns. Local reports indicated that a judge found probable cause for the aggravated manslaughter charge and Boujolly was being held without bond as the case moved forward.

The Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office is prosecuting the case. FDLE has said the investigation remains active and that additional charges may be forthcoming.

As the investigation continues, Boujolly remains accused—not convicted—and will have the opportunity to respond to the allegations in court.

 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.